- List books on the new HAJET goodreads account (I’m the new Librarian)
- Have a snack
- Look at my schedule
- Discuss my Golden Week plans with a teacher
- Clean my desk a tad
- Talk to Ros
- Eat lunch
- Read a couple of online magazine articles
- Chat with Ros more
- Plan a few lessons for the next semester
- Search englipedia and several books for lesson ideas
- Ask Ros for ideas about my lessons
- Help Ros plan lessons
- Make tea
- Suggest that rather than teaching Ros’ kids like as in “I like cats” teach them valley girl style use of like
- Proceed to have an entire conversation using like
- Study my Japanese flashcards – very much avoiding the textbook that would take some real work to study with
In the midst of all of this, go to the bathroom quite a few times as an excuse to be out of my desk.
. . .
And then this evening I’m listening to the radio and hear these lyrics:
“Yeah... gotta start
lookin at the hand of the time we've been given here
this is all we got and we gotta start pickin it
every second counts on a clock that's tickin'
gotta live like we're dying
We only got
86 400 seconds in a day to
turn it all around or throw it all away
we gotta tell 'em that we love 'em
while we got the chance to say
gotta live like we're dying”
~Live Like We’re Dying by Kris Allen (lyrics)
And this song, Blink by Revive, which has a similar call to love. (lyrics)
What am I doing with my time? Am I making it count or am I just wasting it? I don’t want to be someone who just wastes her life.
What actually counts in life? Love.
1 Corinthians 13:1 says “If I speak in the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging symbol.”
How do I get from passing my time at work to making it worthwhile? This is the hard question. Why? Because when I answer it, I have to take action. Action is where God meets me and provides, action is where scary things are.
What if I leap and God doesn’t catch me? That’s always the question, but he has shown himself faithful again and again in his word. And his word also says that he’s the same yesterday, today and forever. Why would he suddenly quit being faithful? I guess I need to move, trusting God to hold me up when I fail.
What action is God calling me to? Love those around me. So easy to say, so much harder to actually live.