Monday, November 30, 2009

Childlike faith

Today I attended my amazing Japan church. We were in Isaiah 7. The king is shaken as he hears that other kingdoms are coming to take them down (that’s me simplifying most of the chapter into one sentence). They were focusing on the things around them rather than focusing on the Lord and knowing that they are ok, because he will take care of them.

As I re-read this in an attempt to begin to work on tonight’s blog, it occurred to me that this is what children do. Something happens and when they aren’t sure how to react, they look to mom or dad. If mom or dad freak out, then they start crying or screaming. If mom or dad are calm, they remain calm.

We’re called to have a childlike faith. So, if we’re supposed to be focusing on the Lord, how should we be reacting to our surroundings? Should we be freaking out? Does the Lord freak out when he hears that someone is coming to “take his chosen down”? No. He knows what’s going to happen. Just as a parent knows whether a kid really needs to cry over the small thing, the Lord knows whether we need to freak out over the things in our life.

We are called to give these things to him and have his peace. He says it over and over and over again in the Word (believe me, I’ve been finding a lot of these references lately – think He’s trying to say something?). But when I actually do what I’m told and look to him, I have more peace than I’ve had in a long time.

He also said (as translated): “Look at God and go to God’s word. Put your heart there. Don’t put your heart where the problem is. That will always bring anxiety. Who can fix a problem by dwelling on it?” It’s time to let go of these things and keep my focus on the Lord. He will provide the answers I need.

One of my favorite worship songs: “Your love is amazing, steady and unchanging, your love is a mountain firm beneath my feet.” I love that. He is unchanging and steady. I just need to hold on to him and he will give me the peace that surpasses all understanding.