Friday, November 20, 2009

English Class

Wow. So today’s English class was amazing.

The students had looked at the article “A village of 100 people.” They had talked about what it meant in their previous class. I was amazed.

Today in class, the students sang the song “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” Definitely a song from the 60’s or 70’s, it fits with the types of songs my parents listen to from that era. After the song, they were given some photojournalism magazines. These photos showed real people in real hurt.

What a powerful message. What is the Lord trying to speak to me?

Jesus called us to be the light into the dark places, to let his love shine into the places where people are hurting, in pain and can see their need for him. How am I doing that? He called us to the world. Am I living that out or am I hiding in a safe bubble of light not sharing it with those around me? It’s so easy to make excuses. Maybe I can’t physically go right now, but can I support those that are? In what ways can I be the light into the dark places where I am? I can’t go to all the dark places nor can I fix every problem. But what can I do? I feel more and more the Lord is calling me to action. How does that look? I’m not sure.

A part of me wants to live the safe life (American Dream) with the 2.5 kids and a dog (or cat). But is that really something worth working toward? Is it just an illusion? Is that life really so easy or safe or perfect? What happens when something happens to one of the kids, the dog dies, or the perfect spouse loses their job? Is that really something we can hang onto? Is it really the life the Lord has called me to live?

Where does that life make room for the Lord to move? For me to be moved by him? If that’s what my life is supposed to be about, why does the “American Dream” not fit so well with it?

I feel like the Lord has been bringing messages like this into my life a lot lately. How do I help? How do I make a difference? What can I do to bring light into those dark places, into the places of hurt and oppression?

What is the Lord calling me to? What is the calling he has placed on my life? Does he want me to live overseas forever and be a missionary? Does he just want me to live a missional life wherever he’s placed me?

I think what I really want is to live my life passionately following the Lord. Where will he lead? Where will I go next? I don’t know. I want to follow the passions he’s put in me. I want to be where he’s moving. I don’t want to live a passive life, hoping to see him move. I want to live an life actively acting as his hands and feet.